Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Common Core Classroom Video...What Parents Need to Know

Early on this school year, my county asked me to share what I was doing with the Common Core Standards in the classroom. They came and visited, filming my students and asking me a series of questions (along with a middle school educator, a district staff member, and a parent whom I have had both her son and daughter for the past two years).  Common Core is really changing the way we teach in the classroom on a daily basis.  Although the lesson I was teaching that day, Non-Fiction Text Features: Glossary was only a small piece of common core instruction, it provided a great basis in October for my students to understand and apply the standards as my students are both reading and writing. 
 
New State Standards coming to Pinellas County schools.
http://vimeo.com/53546547 Common Core in my Classroom
About this video
"Beginning in the 2014-2015 school year, all Florida Schools, including those in within the Pinellas County School District, will use a new system to evaluate students. Common Core State Standards will replace the current Sunshine State Standards, as well as FCAT. District staff is working hard to make sure the transition is smooth for students, staff and parents. The Common Core Standards encourages students to take a more active role in their education. The new assessments will help educators and the students themselves, compare their progress with other students around the nation. The standards will help students read, understand and write answers questions, regardless of subject." Shared from www.pcsb.org

No comments:

Post a Comment